[Boatanchors] Strange Type of Resistor

Bob Jackson bob at nofrowns.net
Sun Nov 11 17:28:13 EST 2012

I'm rebuilding a '50s era receiver - nothing special about it. However, there are two what appear to be normal 1/4 watt resistors, same size, usual color markings, etc. The "strangeness" comes from the fact that instead of normal, wire leads, they have flat, foil-like leads. More peculiar (to me) is that they each have two small holes in them, one at each end, that seem to go deep enough into the body that the "foil" can be seen inside.

I know these things are resistors, but I've never come across this form factor. Any help??

Bob  AG5X