[Boatanchors] Rotator Roulette

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 4 18:30:58 EDT 2013

So today I am playing Rotator Roulette... I bought this antenna rotator a couple of years ago
from a hamfest, assured that it would work. I finally took it out of the box and connected the
three wires correctly to the controller which now whirrs reassuringly and it stops where it
should. However, there's no motor movement in the rotator itself at all. The terminals are
numbered and the wire is color coded, so I know I have it wired properly.

Radio Shack model 15-1245, rated at 60 watts. It should be just right for 3 elementos on 50.2
MHz. Thankfully ity doesn't have the annoying wafer thin wireless remote control box that all
of the newer rotators are supplied with nowadays. This one I can actually take apart and look
at things.

Does anyone have experience with these cool old rotators, and have any suggestions about
what I might try to check out the motor windings or the wiring in the head itself? Whgat
voltage is supposed to come out of the control box when it is on the move?

I am going to try running it to both extremes and back first just in case it picks up and starts
flying right. You never know.

See you on 6 meters this spring and/or summer!