[Boatanchors] Postage Stamp Mica Question

David C. Hallam dhallam at knology.net
Fri Aug 9 19:22:26 EDT 2013

The 6 dot AWS/JAN color code used the upper left hand dot as a marking
for mica or paper.  The black dot means mica.  A silver dot means paper.
  There were paper capacitors in molded cases just like the micas.

David
KW4DH

On 8/9/2013 5:57 PM, J. Forster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still working on the ART-4 transmitter and want to put values on the
> schematic. The unit has about a half dozen 'postage stamp' mica caps.
>
> They are all marked like 'Type 5' on thos page:
>
> http://www.radioremembered.org/capcode.htm
>
> and have 6 color dots.
>
> Reading in the correct order, clockwise starting at the top left, the dots
> are:
>
> Black
> Green
> Brown
> Black
> Yellow
> Red
>
> See the issue? The value SEEMS to be 051 pF; 400 VDC, 2%
>
> Question:  Was it ever convention to use a leading zero in color codes for
> this type of cap? I've never seen it before.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -John

> List Administrator: Duane Fischer, W8DBF
> ** For Assistance: dfischer at usol.com **

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of
taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson