[Boatanchors] Spoken For: FS: Transmitter, Radio T-366A/ARC

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 02:38:13 EDT 2013

Weeelll ... I'm the proud new owner and I'm always interested in adding to
my collection of ARC equipment.

I don't know if "awl yinz" (Okay, so I used to live in Da Burgh.) know it
but I'm the M. Tauson as what wrote the booklet in ARC equipment Fair Radio
has been selling for the last 30 or so years.  I'm working in a new project
for which the plan is to create as many live installations as I can.  This
includes not just Type 12 and later equipment but also earlier systems -
SCR-A*-183/-283, GF/RU, ATA/ARA, SCR-274-N, AN/ARC-5 and any earlier
civilian equipment made by or in relation to Aircraft Radio Corporation or
RFL which was ARC's parent company up to 1934.  Note that WE,
Stromberg-Carlson and a few others also made ARC-designed military
equipment.

On the military side, the current plan calls for a complete SCR-274-N rig
along side a complete SCR-A*-183 with an extra Rx (and maybe something I can
pass off as a liaison Tx - BC-223, GP-7 or BC-AA-191), the GF/RU and ARA/ATA
in a mockup of an ART shop aboard a late WW II aircraft carrier that has
seen action so some shop made substitution is included, a shop-made Jeep
mounted version of an SCR-274-N that I have a photo of, some commercial
conversions and a few ham conversions that struck me as being fairly decent.

Everything is to be operational on at least 40m and preferably 80 and 40m.
While command equipment was intended for voice, it will be operated on CW
instead* since I doubt 10w worth of AM into a typical 16-20' wire aircraft
command equipment antenna will be really influential anywhere past a few
miles/kilometers.  CW, on the other hand, tends to get through nicely.

* Hams do it backwards.  Command equipment was intended for voice with CW as
a backup but hams use it for CW and occasionally AM.  WW II liaison
equipment was used primarily on CW but hams use it primarily on AM.  Gotta
love it.

On the civilian side, as much of the equipment will be operational as the
dynamotor, mount and connector count will allow.  Only a few pieces will be
able to be keyed since a good number of the units are on the VHF aircraft
band and keying up would be a Really Bad Thing.  A couple transmitters will
be on 2M with one converted to FM if I can hit a repeater that isn't tone
controlled.  (Reception will be by slope detection.)

The only equipment that will be operating on 12v are the SCR-A*-183 (even if
I have to pervert some 24v equipment to do so) and the GF/RU.  This is
because I have 12v dynamotors for them while I have 24v for the rest.

There is a kinda sorta extensive want/need list for this project in case
anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Michael, K3MXO, A&P 1803851 Ph: 1-866-733-0218
What flickering lights mean: 1% electrical problem. 99% demons
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/NTH/index.aspx
http://wh7hg.blogspot.com/
http://kludges-other-blog.blogspot.com
Hiki Nô!