[Boatanchors] type 83 mercury vapor tube

Dave Rossetti drossetti at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 20:37:19 EST 2013

Joe,

I have seen the blue glow when testing an 83 tube. Kinda cool. I cannot speak to a good tube with no glow.

Alan Douglas in his Tube Testers and Classic Test Gear book addresses the use of a solid state substitute for the 83 tube; even shows how to make one. Its seems lots of folks use this. I am kinda a purest and prefer the tube.

Yes these tubes have gotten pricey. Look for one that does not address its use in Hickok testers. They go cheaper. It is best if both sides of the tube test about equal.

Dave Rossetti
410-297-0226 (mobile)
Sent from my DROID