[Boatanchors] [Vintage-Military-RADAR] A Cautionary Tale

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sat Nov 16 15:29:42 EST 2013

I  just  used  cool  backup program  backed it all  to  wondows mail format
then had

In a message dated 11/16/2013 1:15:05 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
hpnpilot at gmail.com writes:

I use IMAP with Thunderbird. I have everything I want to save stored
locally. I can pick up on my mobile device as well. There's nothing wrong with
the technology; it's up to the users to make appropriate use of it and
understand strengths and weaknesses.

Peter

On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:05 PM, "J. Forster" <_jfor at quikus.com_
(mailto:jfor at quikus.com) > wrote:

This is a cautionary tale for anyone who uses webmail services  (IMAP).
Examples are Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoomail, and many  others.

With such services everything is stored 'in the cloud'... ie:  on remote
disks rather than on your own local HD.

I had a very  nasty experience yesterday and had to contemplate how to
recover. My  email went completely dark.

Since my Address Book was also on the  remote server, I lost ALL my email
addresses. Rebuilding it would be a  nightmare.

Soo, if you don't back up everything from the web to your  local disk, at
least copy your Address Book so that does not go  Poof!!!

YMMV,

-John

==================

__._,_.___
_Reply  via web post_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vintage-Military-RADAR/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxYW40dHQ2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMTk4MDQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMT
cwNTA4MzI5MQRtc2dJZAMxNzgyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM4NDYzMjkwNA--?a
ct=reply&messageNum=1782)   _Reply  to sender _
(mailto:hpnpilot at gmail.com?subject=Re:%20[Vintage-Military-RADAR]%20A%20Cautionary%20Tale)  _Reply  to
group _
(mailto:Vintage-Military-RADAR at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20[Vintage-Military-RADAR]%20A%20Cautionary%20Tale)  _Start  a New Topic_
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMTk4MDQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzI5MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBj
BHN0aW1lAzEzODQ2MzI5MDQ-)   _Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vintage-Military-RADAR/message/1781;_ylc=X3oDMTM1amViMDY0BF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMTk4MDQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzI5MQRtc2dJZAMxNzgyBHNlYwNmdH
IEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM4NDYzMjkwNAR0cGNJZAMxNzgx)  (2)
Recent Activity:
    *   _New  Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vintage-Military-RADAR/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZmdzNm9xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMTk4MDQ3BGdycHNwSWQDM
TcwNTA4MzI5MQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2cGhvdARzdGltZQMxMzg0NjMyOTA0)  6
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vintage-Military-RADAR;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdjloMzI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMTk4MDQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4M
zI5MQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzODQ2MzI5MDQ-)

NA--)
Switch to: _Text-Only_
(mailto:Vintage-Military-RADAR-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) ,  _Daily  Digest_
(mailto:Vintage-Military-RADAR-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: