[Boatanchors] For Sale NOS 6146 Tube

Jim Simmons orion at datasync.com
Wed Apr 16 04:22:09 EDT 2014

IBM used beam power amplifier tubes in the magnetic core memory unit of
the AN/FSQ-7.  It took a lot of power to drive those huge units. This
was the main computer for the Air Defense Command centers back during
the cold war.  It's been so long ago that I don't remember the exact
tube types, but I think they were 6146's.  That core memory unit was
huge, but its capacity was only 4096 words consisting of 32 bits each
(131,072 individual cores) and it took a lot of current to switch them
from one state to the other.

Jim N5MSJ