[Boatanchors] SG-8 Sig Gen, Band "E" Fudgy

digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 16 14:57:48 EDT 2014

No answers from other groups (incl. Heath), thought someone here might know....

Got this SG-8 out of 5-year storage, cleaned it up, lubed/cleaned the
switches, pots, tested the tubes, etc etc.....and it all works fairly well
for what is it...but Band "E" is extremely erratic.  A thru D are fine.

Have tried numerous fixes, tightened ground bolts, touched up fudgy solder
joints....no go.  Can sometimes get a squawk out of it around 40 Mhz or
so... _ if I happen to bend the coil sub-chassis a bit towards the front
panel_....but it's very unreliable, not a permie fix.

Switched tubes, too, just for grins...no luck.

Clue: The fellow who had this before me put in a 1Meg ohm pot in the audio
gain position _with no on/off switch_ (orig. was 1 meg too)...can hardly
see how this could affect the case, but...that band "E" is nasty...all it
used is the bus bars for inductance, methinks.

Anyone have a similar issue and fix it with this generator?

All tubes tested fine on a Hickok 539B.

Tnx,

Lin/KJ6EF