[Boatanchors] [FLBOATANCHORS] MCM 6L6GC Tubes for $15.99

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 5 08:10:58 EST 2014

One of the most common, and interesting failure modes of 6L6 tubes in audio amplifier applications is as follows:

What happens is the tube becomes noisy and creates a rattling sound in the speaker.

I've seen this happen many times was 6L6 tubes in guitar amplifiers and can only conclude that it is due to the elements rattling inside the envelope. Presumably this is mostly caused by a loose grid.

I've seen it countless times. Guitar player comes in and complains that his amplifier is making a rattling sound and you tap on one of the 6L6 tubes and immediately hear the rattling noise. Replace the tubes and the problem is solved.

Best regards - Brian Carling
AF4K Crystals Co.
117 Sterling Pine St.
Sanford, FL 32773