[Boatanchors] Question about AC-1

L L bahr pulsarxp at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:52:43 EST 2014

I tried it with a real FT-243 crystal and it chirped like crazy on 20 meters. The crystal was cut for 20 meters. I found 30 meters to be the highest it would produce a decently chirp less signal.  You might try doubling the crystal frequency, but then, your output would be reduced.  A FT-243 crystal is really thin if cut to 20 meters and when using a 6V6 oscillator, the current could easily fracture the crystal.  You could cheat and change the 6V6 to a 6AG& and things would be much better.  However, the tube base would have to be rewired and 6AG7 tubes only come with metal shells.

Lee, w0vt