[Boatanchors] Radio Merit Badge

Robert Lawson w4rl at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 19 22:14:10 EDT 2014

Yes, Dave those were the 'days'.  Circa '62 I was in a Troupe which the
Adult Leadership basically quit.  But we told our parents only that we
had a local Jamboree coming up ie transportation.  Our rag tag group
with no adult leader ended up winning 2nd place with our tents all
setup, pine tree trunk tri-pod and kettle, and my homemade crystal set
the same with the wire aerial stung out to the tripod from the tent.
Headphones to boot.  Of note, we told the Judges that our Troop master
was in the bathroom.....   I kid you not.   Of course our parents found
out later but none of us were 'fussed at'.
Never did get my Radio Merit Badge and I think about that even to this day.

Yall, here's the latest on the Boy Scout Radio Merit Badge.  In this day
and age I think the requirements are most sufficient.  No 'cake walk'
for a young  man in today's electronic game and communication
distracting environment.

73 Robert W4RL WPE4FGR

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Radio