[Boatanchors] Introducing a friend to Ham Radio

Kevin McDonald ktmaustin at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 2 20:40:12 EST 2014

A friend of mine is a really good auto mechanic and has a community collage
degree in electronics and is pretty good at linking up and programming the
Parallax electronic kit components. He expressed some interest in ham radio
so I thought it about for a while. I ended up giving/lending him a
Hallicrafters S-76 receiver with a S-46 speaker. It is a primitive setup but
with dual conversion it can perform. The lack of a crystal calibrator and
funky band spread makes it somewhat of a challenge. We connected the speaker
and some wire in his garage heated by a propane heater during a Texas
Norther that dropped temps from 68 this morning to 27 tonight. We picked up
some shortwave stations - it turns out that he knows nothing about RF, MC,
KC, AM , FM, CW, SSB, nothing...
He had searched the Internet and printed out the manual for the S-76. He
showed me the schematic and I explained about about old electrolytics etc.
The purple glow from the voltage regulator seemed to entranced him.  I gave
him a bunch of buzz words words to learn about RF, SWL, HAM, etc in general
on the Wiki or whatever. I showed him my radios a couple years ago and he
seemed to glaze over but next time I think he will look at the HQ-180,
BC348, HRO, SW3, SP600, R390A, Nationals, Heathkits... with renewed
interest.
Screw transistors – bring on the boat anchors with a warm glow on a cold
night!
N5OJF