[Boatanchors] Cleaning out the shop; stuff for sale

Frank Barnes fbw4npn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 18:04:29 EDT 2014

>From W4NPN:  I need to reduce my inventory of electronics stuff which I
will never live long enough to work on – the following items for sale are
available, mostly for pickup in Chapel Hill.  The smaller items could be
shipped.

*Hallicrafters SX-28A,* (1946) cabinet model, with original documentation &
manual.  Good cosmetics.  Worked fine when laid up five years ago; would
need to be brought back to life gently and then minor frequency
alignment.   Matching loudspeaker has been repainted and the speaker has
been replaced but I have the old original speaker.    See
http://www.radioblvd.com/SX28Notes.html

*National NC-57* in fair condition; some corrosion inside.  Works but needs
some TLC to fix minor problems (probably just a good alignment).    See
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=126872

*National NC-57M* in somewhat rough condition.  This is the AC/DC  marine
version which includes the 200-400kc Low Frequency band (marine band) plus
MW/SW bands.  Needs restoration but is an unusual model.   High end of the
dial is smeared.  When I got it, I turned it on and heard a few weak
signals but never got around to restoring it.  Has been laid up 5 years.
Looks like the NC-57.

*Excellent LW/MW/SW/FM table model radio*:  West German; “Korting –
Stereomatic” model 1085-FX, s/n 10890, about 1963 vintage.  Excellent
cosmetics; worked fine when laid up; needs to be brought back to life
gently to let the filters reform.  A really good German product.  25” long,
15” high & 10” deep.   See
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/korting_stereomatic_1085fx.html

*Spartan model 8W10* 8-tube AM/FM table model radio.  About 1948 – 1950?
Works.  Good cosmetics but one knob is missing.  Volume control could stand
a shot of contact cleaner.  In daily use.  See
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sparton+8W10&biw=1531&bih=843&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=b81HVNmjOMjKggSomoKQCg&ved=0CFgQsAQ&dpr=0.9

*GE Model L663 AM/SW table model radio*; 6 tubes.  About 1940 – my
grandfather used this during the war and for years after.  Top of cabinet
is rough but no separation of lamination.   Has not been used for many
years so will need TLC to bring it back to life.  See
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_l663.html

*Browning-Drake Regenaformer Regen Receiver* (1926).  With schematic &
circuit explanation.  A high-end AM band 4-tube  radio in a nice table
model cabinet.  Excellent condition inside & out.  Has an RF stage,
regenerative detector & two audio tubes.  No tubes in it.  Uses DV3 or
UV-199 or 201 tubes.  301’s would probably work also.  This one would be
easy to restore.  Also, you could probably plug  a 2n2222 transistor into
the RF stage, a 2n3904 into the detector and an LM386 audio amp into the
various tube sockets and run it with a 9V battery with no damage to the
original set – I might try that myself!  Regenaformer photo found toward
the bottom of the photos at
http://www.browninglabsinc.com/browning_drake_corporation.htm

*Grebe “Synchrophase Seven”*  (1925) TRF-Neutrodyne AM Radio.  Uses 7
tubes; one is missing.  This unit is in  good condition (dusty) and could
be put back into service.  The power cable that goes to the batteries must
be replaced.  See at
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grebe_synchrophase_seven.html

*Atwater Kent Type TA* detector &  2-stage audio amplifier.  This is a
stand-alone circular chassis with the tubes and a volume control mounted on
it.  Contains one 200 and two 201 tubes.  From the 1920’s.   See
http://www.atwaterkent.info/Articles/AKRA0812.pdf for details.

*Two All-American 5’s*, laid up five years ago; probably need new filters
&  caps.

*Radio Shack HTX-10*  10 meter 25-watt mobile transceiver..  Excellent
condition, with original box, mike & instructions.

*Heathkit AJ-14 solid state FM tuner*.  Laid up five years ago.  Good
cosmetic condition.  See
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/heath_aj_14_e_aj14e.html

*Yaesu FT-101* transceiver (1972) with operating and maintenance manual for
parts, although it could be restored; includes desk mike, mobile mount and
speaker/phone patch.  Used it 32 years & laid it up.  It has some minor
internal corrosion from a couple of years of maritime mobile & Pacific
Island duty.

*Heathkit Signal Generator* model  IG-102  – works fine; with manual.  I
built it years ago.  See
http://gmcotton.com/Ham_Radio/MISC%20Manuals/Heathkkit/Heahkit%20Signal%20Generator%20IG-102%20Complete.pdf

*Heathkit IM-13 VTVM* – the benchmount version; built by an IBM engineer.
 Rough condition - some paint splatter & aging on it.  Meter’s plastic
cover has scuffing.  Works but +DC and –DC  needle zero position aren’t
exactly zero.  See  http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/heath_vtvm_im_13_im1.html

*VTVM* – cosmetically excellent.  Stored – needs to be brought back to
life.  Built as part of a Bell & Howell Training course.  I think it’s an
Eico 232 with a Bell & Howell faceplate.  Worked properly when stored.

*TS-323/UR Frequency Meter*, with calibration book.  Excellent panel &
inside; the outer case has some slight scarring; never repainted.  This is
basically the VHF/UHF version of the LF/MF/HF BC-225 heterodyne frequency
meter used during WWII and into the 1950’s by the military.

*Bell & Howell Labs Oscilloscope*, with manual, built about 30 years ago as
part of a Bell & Howell electronics training course; then stored.  With
construction & operation manuals. Cosmetically like new but would need to
be brought back to life carefully – probably needs new filters & perhaps
some capacitors.

*Tubes – lots of them*:  What do you need?

*Older IBM PC & Monitor*, with Windows XP – works fine; good for student or
home use.

*Want to buy:*   6Y6G or 6080 or 6AS7G or 6336 tubes,  a good working
frequency counter (LF/MF/HF range) and maybe a clean National HRO w/plug-in
coil set.

Please respond by email to fbw4npn at gmail.com.  Frank Barnes, W4NPN, Chapel
Hill, NC

--