[Boatanchors] Another Parts Store Closes...

Bill Carns wcarns at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 30 11:19:55 EDT 2015

As past president of the Collins Collectors Association I will add a comment
and suggest a slight modification.

Re: Part of your good comments. . . " When we are gone and others like us no
longer exist, the large solderable parts will be gone as well."

Our ranks have never been bigger and growing. Contrary to our (and many
others) fears that as the oldsters die off, so will the collecting and
repair of old radio,  we are seeing quite the opposite. Many young hams and
collectors of things antiquated are joining our ranks and buying their first
piece of Collins.  They are just asking different questions - more
fundamental ones - like how does a tube work or even what is a tube. These
are neophyte questions, but coming from motivated and intelligent people.

So, the market (and the collector or maintainer) is not disappearing but
just shrinking maybe and changing nature.  The market is certainly getting
smaller, but it does still exist and will remain even after we are all gone.
Our challenge is to leave a trail of understandable educational material
aimed at that market and the hope is that these hordes of radio parts will
wind up somewhere where they can still be found....albeit probably at
increasing cost.

The Collins Collectors Association is working hard to leave a resource of
"Experience" and educational material so that the next generations can pick
up where we left off.

Bill

Bill Carns, N7OTQ (Trustee K0CXX)
Past President, Collins Collectors Association
Founding Board, Collins Radio Heritage Group
Editor, Signal Magazine
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)