[Boatanchors] Thanks for Replies: FW: Question for Rectifier Experts

William w_b_morton at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 10:39:18 EST 2015

Hello All,
Thanks to all who responded.  It looks like the average current max is 275 mA, which could be a concern.  Also, based on what I could tell from the links, this tube does not appear to be rated for the voltage range I am interested in.  The schematic I am looking at shows a rectified B+ of 450V and the total current for the high voltage taps  is around 300 mA.
I was interested as this is a cool looking tube and I saw converter sockets for 596 --> 5U4GB.  Of course this does not imply full interchangeability and I am now seeing.
As this is a military tube, there was some wishful thinking that some operating margin was available for me to use.  For the current, I suppose I could double the quantity of tubes (if I could find another 596).  The voltage is another matter.
Thanks Again and Best Regards,
William