[Boatanchors] Clipperton L

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:27:56 EST 2017

Any Clipperton users/experts out there.
I remember when they were the cat's meow, but I don't want to say how long it was.
I just got an unmodified one, dusty but seems OK.
Funny thing is, it shows almost no idle current on the meter.
IN CW position, it draws 1.5A from the line in stby and goes up to 3.5A in operate!
Thats over 200VA that doesn't show on the meter!
Not a bad meter, because the B+ reads fine.
Plate current is read as voltage across a 0.05 Ohm resistor, which I havent measured.
If I can find it, I'll put some current through it and measure the resulting voltage.
Meanwhile, I'd appreciate advice re updates, most common failure modes, etc.
Amazingly, the op manual says nothing about the operating parameters!
I'd like to sell it, but no bites on QTH.
BTW, it has four original Cetron tubes, condition as yet unknown.
Thanks,
Wilson
W4BOH