[Boatanchors] Opening Can Capacitors

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Oct 2 02:55:31 EDT 2017

I want to try replacing the guts in a failed 2000 uF can capacitor;
Hayseed Hamfest does not have a matching can available.

Has anyone here actually opened one of these can capacitors? Looking at
the can, the bottom with the four twist tabs and perhaps a 1/4-inch long
cylindrical section seem to be one piece, with the top edge of the
cylindrical section rolled onto a shoulder in the can itself.

How has a can like this been opened successfully so it can be re-assembled?

I can chuck the can in a lathe and cut the rolled section but then there
would not be material to roll down again.

What has worked for you?

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)