[Boatanchors] Changing from 2 to 3 wire power cords

Frank Barnes fbw4npn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 15:27:31 EDT 2019

This article references the "All American 5" AM Broadcast receivers so
popular in the '50's but is applicable to any device with a "hot" chassis:

https://antiqueradio.org/safety.htm

I've replaced the power cable on my junkyard AA5 with a 2-wire cord, just
like the original, but I marked both the back panel's AC connector and the
plug to indicate proper polarity so that when I plug it in to a properly
wired outlet the chassis side is connected to the white, or negative AC
line.

But I still keep my fingers out of it...

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:43 PM Hy Chantz <chantz at well.com> wrote:

> When I was a mere boy : )    CQ Magazine had an article called "The 22
> Watt Monster".  It was a low-power CW transmitter, whose schematic featured
> a grounded chassis and a one-wire plug.  It took me a LONG time after
> pondering it to understand how it worked....
>
> 73
>
> W2HY

Frank Barnes
W4NPN