[calix-nsp] IPv6 on Calix

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Oct 16 00:34:21 EDT 2011

Yes, we are doing it on the C7 with R7.0.567.  We currently use the
VLAN-per-service model (N:1) and it's an L2 link from the customer to our
core router.  Because the DHCPv6 traffic is multicast, we had to change the
port type from Downstream (Secure) to Both (Insecure).  Problem is that
there is a ~240 limit per card to the number of ports that can be "Both
(Insecure)", so it doesn't scale.  If you are using VLAN-per-customer
(probably via Q-in-Q) this is not an issue.

Our customers are dual-stacked.  We are providing D-Link DIR-655 routers
because they have the most complete IPv6 feature set at a consumer-grade
price point.

Calix was onsite in late August to test their R8.0 code (supports LDRA so
that N:1 IPv6 deployment scalable) on a test shelf using both OLTS and VDSL
cards.  We used 5 different consumer-grade dual-stack routers and 3
consumer-grade dual-stack xDSL modems to test against.  They ran into a few
issues, some of which they were able to overcome via onsite programming, but
they went back and addressed them and currently their code is understating
SQA.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frank