[cisco-bba] help with a config

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Mon Sep 29 18:16:28 EDT 2003

inline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, james wrote:

> Thanks for clearing that up, this mixing of L2 and L3 is confusing at times. I took a few mins.
> to read the RFC and some Cisco docs. I have one provider

no worries

> who is configed differently (bridge groups or routed) and all of my other DSL is PPPoX
> or "atm route-bridged". I like the "atm route-bridged" config as it gives better security
> and control. I would like to move this one provider to "atm route-bridged", are these configs
> equalivant ?
>
> Can this:
> interface atm 4/0.100 point-to-point
>   ip unnumbered ethernet 1/0
>   pvc 0/32
>   atm route-bridged ip
>
> ip route 172.69.5.9 255.255.255.0 interface atm 4/0.100

yes the above is a configuration for "atm route-bridged".  basically
we are making an L3 forwarding decision, but encapsulating the IP frame
in a bridged 1483 PDU for transmission down the ATM PVC.

> be used in place of this:
>
>  interface ATM1/ima0.2 multipoint
>  description  routed customer connections
>  ip address  aaa.253.145.129 255.255.255.128
>  no ip mroute-cache
>  pvc 1/37
>   protocol ip aaa.253.145.130 no broadcast
>  !

no as the above is a L3 configuration.

> and this:
>
> interface atm 4/0.100 point-to-point
>   ip address 172.69.5.9 255.255.255.0
>   pvc 0/32
>   bridge-group 1
>   atm route-bridged ip
> bridge 1 protocol ieee
>
> be used in place of this:

yes you can use the above config to replace the BVI config.

please note that when you do a flash cut of the config, if the end devices
are already up, they may need to relearn MAC addresses (if they changed).

so a gratuitous arp or something along the lines would help with the
convergence.

cheers
.siva