[cisco-bba] Problem traffic shaping individual PPPoE sessions on a Cisco 2621 XM running c2600-telco-mz.123-7.T3.bin

Whittle, Michael michael.whittle at thus.net
Fri Aug 6 04:25:32 EDT 2004

We have configured a Cisco 2621XM as a LAC in which we are terminating
various PPPoE connections. At the moment the solution is working but the
bandwidth that each PPPoE session uses is a bit of a free for all. We would
like to limit each PPPoE session to not exceed 512k. I have found some good
documentation on the Cisco site which says that this can be done using both
, 'service policies' or 'traffic-shape rate' on the Virtual-Template
interface. The router accepts the configuration without a problem but for
some reason when we check the throughput it exceeds 512k.

The documentation on the web site bases it's examples on a Cisco 10000
platform but I don't think that would make a difference in this case because
all the commands we need are supported on the Cisco 2621XM. The IOS we are
running is, 'c2600-telco-mz.123-7.T3.bin' which I'm wondering if it may be
the problem here. The router we are using also supports Virtual-Template
subinterfaces but for some reason if I apply the traffic shaping commands to
the Virtual-Template I should see the commands displayed when I use the
following command and I don't:

interface Virtual-Template1
 description PPPoE Session
 mtu 1492
 bandwidth 512
 ip unnumbered Loopback0
 no peer default ip address
 no keepalive
 traffic-shape rate 512000 8000 8000 1000
!

CPR00227-test#test virtual-template 1 subinterface
Subinterfaces may be created using Virtual-Template1
CPR00227-test#

The example above should limit each PPPoE session to 512k but it doesn't
seem to work. I have also tried the configuration below and it also isn't
working:

policy-map PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC
 class class-default
  police cir 512000 bc 96000 be 192000
    conform-action transmit
    exceed-action drop
    violate-action drop
!

interface Virtual-Template1
 description PPPoE Session
 mtu 1492
 bandwidth 512
 ip unnumbered Loopback0
 service-policy input PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC
 service-policy output PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC
 no peer default ip address
 no keepalive
!

CPR00227-test#show policy-map interface Virtual-Template1
 Virtual-Template1

  Service-policy input: PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC

    Service policy content is displayed for cloned interfaces only such as
vaccess and sessions

  Service-policy output: PPPoE-SESSION-TRAFFIC

    Service policy content is displayed for cloned interfaces only such as
vaccess and sessions
CPR00227-test#

Any idea what the problem could be?

Regards,