[cisco-bba] LNS issues on a 7301

Dennis Peng dpeng at cisco.com
Tue Dec 7 19:59:59 EST 2004

Clayton Zekelman [clayton at mnsi.net] wrote:

> It may have indirectly been MTU issues.
>
> Somewhere along the way, IOS started treating the RADIUS Framed-Compression=Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP attribute differently.
>
> Users who had that attribute set in the RADIUS users file were failing.  Everyone without it (our DEFAULT entry) was fine. It was one of those things we always set during the dialup days, and it never appeared to cause a problem on DSL until we went to 12.3(11)T.

For the archives, this problem exists in 12.3(7)T or later. I've
opened up a bug on this, CSCsa49007. The release note says:

In IOS releases 12.3(7)T or later, if the command <CmdBold>ip tcp
header-compression<NoCmdBold> is configured on VPDN virtual-access
interfaces, TCP traffic will fail to pass. The command may also be
enabled via the RADIUS Framed-Compression attribute. VJ header
compression does not have to be negotiated successfully for TCP
traffic to be affected, it just needs to be configured. The workaround
is to either remove the <CmdBold>ip tcp header-compression<NoCmdBold>
command, filter the Framed-Compression attribute using the RADIUS
Attribute Filtering feature in IOS, or remove the attribute from the
user's RADIUS profile.

If you have RADIUS profiles with the Framed-Compression set to VJ
header compression, or would like to use VJ header compression on your
LNS (eg you are aggregating modem links), please open up a TAC case
and request that they link the case to this bug. I'd greatly appreciate
your support in documenting your requests/needs.

> I suspect that somehow when the TCP/IP header was decompressed with VJ, it grew larger and broke things due to the PPPoE packet size limitations.
>
> Either way:
> 12.3(9) - VJ "on" causes no problems.
> 12.3(11)T - VJ "on" breaks things.
>
> I'd rather avoid using ip tcp adjust-mss.  From what I remember in earlier releases, it blocked creation of Virtual-Access Subinterfaces, and caused some performance hits.  I don't know if this is still true. Since my L2TP tunnels come in on an ATM interface, I don't hit the maximum L2TP packet size over Ethernet issue.

TCP adjust-mss is sub-interface capable in 12.3(3) and later
(CSCea31101). However, anyone using the command on the sub-interface
should make sure they have the fix for CSCee75569, in 12.3(10) or
later. Otherwise you will only see TCP adjust-mss sporadically working
which will cause performance problems.

Dennis