[cisco-bba] PPPoE AC redundancy

Ian Henderson ianh at chime.net.au
Thu Apr 7 02:27:27 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Denis V. Schapov wrote:

> What is the best practise to get server side redundancy for >1 Cisco LNS
> routers acting as PPPoE AC for clients on Ethernet, 802.1q ? Didn't
> found in rfc some priority TAG for PADO packet to force clients using
> only one of PPPoE AC in normal scenario and switch over to 2-nd only in
> the case of 1-st AC failure. Or this can be and must be implemented on
> PPPoE client side to choose first AC with specific AC-name/Service-name
> and in the case of primary AC failure ask/choose for another
> Service-name/AC-name ?

I don't know if there's a better way to do it, but we just put multiple
routers on one broadcast domain with the same AC name. Works just fine.
The client will use the PADO it receives first, discarding any later ones.
This builds a very basic load balancing solution - if one router is under
lower CPU load than other, it should respond to the PADI faster and
balance the load (over a large number of users, of course).

Rgds,

- I.

--
Ian Henderson CCNA, CCNP