[cisco-bba] per user traffic stats (RADIUS accounting)??

Vusi Ndebele vusi at webdevuk.com
Wed Feb 23 19:03:10 EST 2005

List,

I've seen a few posts recently advising against monitoring usage (per user
data transfer) from radius accounting. This is something I am desperate to
implement to enforce 'capped usage' products. I'd be very interested to hear
how others are enforcing this.

(Standard broadband aggregation scenario on 7200s. PPPoA Using PVC Range)

Radius seems to be the best place to do it in our scenario as our RADIUS
server will have the accounting logs done per account (unique identifier)
rather than per IP address so we would not need to implement any logic to
tie a user to an IP address over a time period. Why are people against this
method?