[cisco-bba] LNS with 7200 with NPE-G1

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Wed Oct 19 05:09:59 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:43 -0700, Richard Licon (rlicon) wrote:
> As Dennis mentions, MPF might be a good fit here for this config,
> especially since the interfaces appear to be only ethernet.
> More can be found here:
> http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feat
> ure_guide09186a00804c2d31.html

A pretty informational document.  However, a few questions:

1. A ROMmon upgrade.  How big a deal?  Can one download the image
somewhere on CCO?  I seem to be unable to find it.

2. Price of the software.  Last time I checked it was around USD
$10,000?

3. Stability.  Quoting the document, "The MPF image should not be used
as a general purpose router image.".  What does this mean?  Is it not
reliable enough?

4. Restrictions.  According to the document, MPF does not support
MPLS.  Does this mean if I'm using MPLS, I will get no acceleration,
or just "less acceleration" (will other features still be accelerated?).
What I'm looking for is really an acceleration on the data plane for
customer's traffic.

Is Cisco recommending the use of MPF in a live service provider network
right now?

Thanks,
Kristofer

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.