[cisco-bba] LAC/LNS --> L2TP MTU issues

Rodrigo Curado rodas at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 2 21:51:04 EDT 2006

Hi Christian.

My first advice is try to enable a bigger (than 1500) MTU between the
LAC and the LNS. That way you can get a bigger payload per packet.

If you can't I recommend what I'm using, so far without any problems:

vpdn-group (no changes regarding mtu's)

virtual template
 mtu xxxx
 ip tcp adjust-mss zzzz

You can have issues with udp or icmp packets but in my scenario that's
an accepted limitation (usually you won't see "important" traffic with
~1500bytes on udp or icmp over a PPPoX connection, but it's up to you).

Clearing the DF bit works but can bring the 7200-G1 down sooner than you
expect.

When I was working on this mtu issues I've found a nice document that
could help you get the right values (you can always do some math :) and
compare the several options you mention:

http://info.connect.com.au/docs/permconnections/adsl-customer-info.pdf

BTW this is a fine example of Service Provider to Customer technical
support.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo Curado