[cisco-bba] 3800 for broadband aggregrtion

Deryk Piper deryk-lists at mod-soft.com
Wed Aug 15 11:07:04 EDT 2007

Hello all,

We've got a 3640 that we've been using to handle about 60 PPPoE connections.
The device has a number of features enabled - NAT and IP Inspection being
the most processor intensive - and it's at the point where it's running out
of steam.

On average it handles about 2.5-3 Mbps of traffic.  It starts to get hairy
at 4+ Mbps.  NetFlow shows about 45% of the packets are ~64 bytes, and 25%
are 1500 bytes.  Overall CPU utilization hovers around 60-70%, with about
15% of that due to process switching.

We don't have enough subscribers to justify a 72xxVXR (I don't think...?).
But the 3640 has to go.

Would the 3825/3845 fare better?  I've been unable to find any notes on how
many PPP sessions it can handle, probably because it's not normally
positioned for BBA.

Thanks in advance!

DP

Deryk Piper, B.A.Sc