[cisco-bba] TCP and PPPoE problems with one type of CPE

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sun Jun 24 08:04:03 EDT 2007

Frank Bulk wrote:
> You just need to go back two months on this listserv to see that having the
> VJ compression attribute on the RADIUS profile was a major CPU penalty for
> our 7206VXR....we changed things such that only if the NAS was our RAS box
> would the VJ compression attribute be used.  This was a leftover item from
> our dial-up days.

Yep, that's exactly how it kind of lingered around here.  Popular in the
dialup days, and still is.  I checked several of our NAS devices and VJ
is on almost every connection (if not every).

Carried over into DSL also when DSL first came around and most ISP's
were only offering 256-384K at first.  But now that the norm is mostly
1-3Mbit downstream, TCP header compression probably hurts more than it
helps.

I did notice that even though we were set passive, not a lot of PPPoE
clients actually used header compression, in fact very few.  It was
enabled on the virtual interface, but "not compressing".

Still though, the Zyxel issue was indeed strange.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC
rblayzor at inoc.net
http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

FreeBSD, Putting the 'Operating' back into OS!