[cisco-bba] Cisco 7206VXR running out of steam at 20mb throughput

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu May 17 10:39:29 EDT 2007

Let's see a 'show proc cpu | excl %0.00__%0.00__%0.00' when your CPU
is running hot.  As well, let's see  show int f0/0 and show int f1/0

That aside, a couple things:

- Either force the connection between the 3Com and F1/0 to 100/full
or connect the 3Com to a Gig interface and let it auto-sense speed
and duplex.  I see you have the FastE forced to half duplex which
isn't going to help your throughput.  You will notice collisions and
dropped packets in show int as a result.  I'm not sure if that's
going to increase CPU utilization though.

- Can you separate your traffic into VLANs?  A bunch of secondaries
on an interface are an old practice and should be avoided, IMO.

- ip route-cache same-interface used to be helpful for situations
like yours, but it's been years since I used it and it was with fast
switching at the time, not CEF switching, so I'm not sure if it's
needed seeing as how you are running CEF.