[cisco-bba] ATM and Ethernet Question

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Mon Apr 21 01:09:48 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a VPN for a few sites and I'm testing how to get
traffic from an ATM cloud through our switched network as seen below. In
theory, it should be Layer 2 all the way from the CPE to the Test
Machine.

Test Machine on VLAN 903 (192.16.14.1) -> [Switched Network] -> Core
Router with ATM and Ethernet sub-interface configured on it -> [Third
Party's ATM cloud] -> CPE (192.168.14.2)

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not but I CAN'T ping from
the test machine to the CPE and vice versa.

Core Router config:

bridge irb
bridge 2 protocol ieee
bridge 2 route ip
!
interface ATM1/0.304470 point-to-point
 description ATM VC
 bandwidth 2048
 atm route-bridged ip
 bridge-group 2
 pvc 10/100
  ubr 2048
  encapsulation aal5snap
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0.903
 encapsulation dot1Q 903
 ip flow ingress
 bridge-group 2

Is a BVI interface required?

I can confirm that the Layer 2 between the ATM sub interface and CPE is
working. I put an IP address on each end and was able to ping end to
end.

I can also confirm that the Layer 2 between the Test Machine to
Interface Gig0/0.903 is working. Similarly, I put an IP address on each
end and was able to ping end to end.

So my questoin is - can ATM and Ethenet co-exist by putting them both
into the same bridge group as seen in the config above such that the CPE
which is connected to the ATM cloud is able to reach the test machine
which is attached to the ethernet sub-interface on vlan 903 through the
use of this bridge group?

If this is not possible, are there alternatives to what I want to do?

Thanks.

Andy

use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please notify the sender
immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email
from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
 those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.