[cisco-bba] 'mtu' versus 'ip mtu'

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Dec 2 14:13:35 EST 2008

Arie:

Thanks for that reference.  There's a lot of talk in there about MPLS MTU,
not so much IP MTU.  One sentence jumped out at me:

"A best practice is to set the interface MTU of the core-facing interface to
a value greater than either the IP MTU or interface MTU of the edge-facing
interface."

Since my interface MTU (mtu 1492), is not greater than the IP MTU (ip mtu
1492), doesn't that suggest I should be dropping the value of my ip mtu to
comply with this best practice?

Frank