[cisco-bba] ATM : VP & VCI

Bryan Campbell bbc at misn.com
Mon Jan 5 11:28:25 EST 2009

Let's make this a bit more simple.

VPI/VCI is kinda like a phone number.

Imagine the phone number 22-333-444-5555.

A call to that number can be switched at country code (22), area code
(333), exchange (444), or end customer digits (5555).  The only
difference is that ATM is not native voice traffic.  It is ATM cell
traffic.  And, the traffic can have switching treatment by VPI, VCI, or
both, that is applied at layer 2 or layer 3 by the ATM network.

The most comparable data technology is Q-in-Q vlan tagging.

And, if you don't understand VPI-VCI now, you should read "Essentials of
ATM Networks and Services" by Oliver C. Ibe.

Enjoy!