[cisco-bba] PPPoE with Routed Subnet

Brian Raaen braaen at zcorum.com
Mon Jan 12 19:20:31 EST 2009

Patrick,
	If this is like most of the PPPoE setups I have worked with (I work on the
service provider side of things) you would have a static that is assigned to
the wan of your router using ipip, and the /29 is routed to that
address(think - ip route $subnet 255.255.255.248 $static).  When that subnet
hits your router you can do pretty much anything you want to with it.  We
usually suggest that customers assign the first usable to the lan of their
router (usually ala linksys variety) and make sure that nat(or gateway mode)
is turned off.  They would set up their internal host using an ip out of the
subnet with the router internal as their gateway.  Some customers even add a
second router for NATing (if you are using lo end soho routers that may be
your only option).  Since you are using a IOS powered cisco you can look into
using something like 1:1 nat to allow you to use all 8 addresses in the
subnet if you want to make sure to use one for pat (i.e. standard nat) if you
need to.

Brian Raaen
Network Engineer
braaen at zcorum.com