[cisco-nas] Multilink endpoint discriminator 1.2.3.4

David Ferguson df at telenor.net
Tue Aug 19 18:41:28 EDT 2003

I see that a small percentage of our customers use the same endpoint
descriminator. I've seen 1.2.3.4, and 0000.0000.0002. Those that I've
checked are using some version of Windows, and I presume this behaviour is
related to the ISDN card and/or driver.

We have configured "multilink bundle-name both", so normally this is not a
problem, and "show ppp multi | in bundle" gives the following:

 Virtual-Access22, bundle name is tommy/1.2.3.4
 Virtual-Access63, bundle name is david/1.2.3.4

However, we're considering offering a service where a certain group of
users will connect with a shared username. My concern is that some of
these will be affected by this problem.

My question is (are); has anyone else seen this, do you know which cards
are affected, and is it possible for the user to reconfigure the endpoint
discriminator?

(This is also an issue with Cisco clients, but the command "ppp multilink
endpoint mac ethernet 0" fixes it.)

-David.
--
David Ferguson (CCIE 1263) <df at telenor.net>
 Telenor AS, Snaroyvn. 30, 1331 Fornebu, Norway.