[cisco-nas] TCP header compression....questions

Anastassios Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Tue Jul 8 22:20:34 EDT 2003

The following doc says it is possible to have fast/cef switching enabled + TCP header
compression enabled at the same time.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t7/rtpfast.htm

I have a 7200 (12.3(1)) used as a LNS for our DSL customers, but i can't see the above
happening.

When issuing "sh ip tcp header-compression":

Having enabling "ip tcp header-compression" shows TCP/IP header compression statistics.
Having enabling "ppp ipcp header-compression ack" doesn't show anything.

How much will be the throughput gain (%) for DSL (PPPoE/PPPoA) clients when tcp header
compression is enabled? I have heard it goes till 5%, not more.

--
    Chatzithomaoglou Anastasios