[cisco-nas] common pool for many NAS

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 3 09:47:17 EST 2003

Aaron Leonard wrote:

>>What is the preffered way of using o common pool (/24) in many access routers?
>

>>Let me describe it a little better:
>

>>We have a lot of as5300 where we define locally 2 pools: 1 big (/24) and 1 small (/30),
>

> So EACH 5300 has its own locally defined /24 pool and
> /30 pool?

yes...
> And these 5300s are not all centrally located on one LAN,
> but are located at various places in your IP WAN?

yes...

>>for 2 kinds of dialup customers. The 2 customer kinds have different profiles in our
>>radius, which define different local pools names for each one.
>

>>We want to define all these small /30 networks as a /24 in a central router/server and
>>those specific customers to get ips from this router/server.
>>The problem is that we want to use such a method through aaa/radius, so we won't need to
>>create another group-async/dialer/vtemplate interface on the as5300.
>

>>Ofcourse, the central router/server should take care in order to not give the same ip
>>concurrently on 2+ users (even on different as5300s), like in local pool ip addressing.
>

> Sounds to me like one good answer is to have RADIUS assign
> the IP addresses.

But how can i have radius assign different ip address per user? How will radius know which
ip address is being used?

>>Could dhcp be the solution in our problem?
>

> Yes, you could use DHCP for this too.  That is,
> DHCP from the DHCP server to the 5300; the 5300
> would proxy the info from DHCP to IPCP for the
> clients.
>

>>If yes, wouldn't there be problems with dhcp/bootp requests across our wan/lan inks?
>>Helper-address seems to address this issue, but then why should all broadcasts be
>>forwarded to the central router/server?
>

> DHCP doesn't have to use broadcasts; you could just
> configure an explicit DHCP server address on the
> AS5300s, so DHCP would use unicasts.

So i just have to configure a dhcp server entry on each of the AS5300s and then configure
the dhcp pools on the dhcp server?
Do the dhcp pools and the dhcp server have to be in the same ip range?