[cisco-nas] dhcp "like" ppp aaa - maybe silly question ;-)

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 3 13:21:09 EST 2003

Aaron Leonard wrote:

>> > Well, the right answer (I suppose you know this already) is
>> > to switch from RFC-1483 to PPPoA or PPPoE.  I'm not sure what
>> > you can do with RFC-1483 ... maybe someone has some ideas?
>

>> I'm using RFC1483 and not PPPoX for this scenario, because we're using
>> video multicasting
>> and we want to have 1 multicast stream per dslam. If we use PPPoX,
>> then we'll have many
>> streams from the bras to the dslam, because the user ppp/ip will be
>> terminated on the
>> bras. Of course there is the solution of an ip dslam and we are going
>> to have a further
>> look at it.
>

> OK.  I guess the SESM/SSG stuff could be brought to bear here.  I'm not
> at all up on that stuff, though.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/as/6400/prodlit/exdre_ds.htm
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/as/6400/prodlit/ssgw_ds.htm
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/sesm/sesm_315/solgde/01intro.htm

Well, SSG is a very sad story :-(

We tried to implement (7200 = SSG) it but the online CCO docs weren't helpfull enough, so
we came to a dead end. We also contacted our local Cisco Account Manager/Partner for some
extra help/docs but they also couldn't help us.

As it seems Cisco tries to "hide" a lot of SSG information, but we can't undertand why.
Or Cisco doesn't have a lot of experience with SSG !!!! Which i don't tend to believe
easily ;-)))

This is one of the few cases that we were very dissapointed by CCO & Cisco :-(((

--
    Chatzithomaoglou Anastasios