[cisco-nas] dhcp "like" ppp aaa - maybe silly question ;-)

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Fri Oct 31 00:35:59 EST 2003

Aaron Leonard wrote:

>> Is there a way to have username/password authentication/accounting
>> (with radius) when
>> using dhcp, just like normal ppp?
>

>> If yes, is there a way to have per-user (security, qos) attributes
>> applied through radius?
>

> Sounds like you're talking about 802.1X, or something like it, perhaps?
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123limit/123x/123xa/gt_802_1.htm
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12113ea1/3550scg/sw8021x.htm

Quite interesting.....but 2 questions come to my mind:

1. What encapsulation does virtual-template use?
2. Is there a 802.1X accounting method?

> What exact physical topology connects these users to the network?

These users are terminated (RFC1483 Routing/Bridging) in a dslam and until now they just
get an ip through dhcp. We're trying to find a way in order to make them "behave" like ppp
users with username/password authentication/accounting, per-user attributes/qos, like we
do in all our other users through our radius servers.

--
    Chatzithomaoglou Anastasios