[cisco-nas] Cisco3640 NM-16AM analog modem configuration problem

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Wed Sep 17 10:33:27 EDT 2003

> Dear All,

> I have very little experience with Cisco nas configuration. Now
> I am configuring Cisco3640 with NM-16AM analog modem module. IOS
> image file is c3640-i-mz.122-8.T1. After the configuration, I use
> command "sh interface asyn 33" The speed of the line is 9.6 K, and
> could not answer any PPP connection. Could you please suggest what
> is possible problem.

> Many thanks.
> Souphonh

Welcome Souphonh.

Here's a sample configuration to use for starters:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fdial_c/fnsprt12/dafspex.htm#1000911
"Individual Remote PCs Using Analog Modems" in
"Telco and ISP Dial Scenarios and Configurations".  In your case, with
the analog modems, you would skip the T1 controller and ISDN D channel
configuration part.

If you still have problems, here are the debugs I'd use:

config term
  service timestamp debug date msec
  modem call-record terse
  end

debug modem
debug ppp negotiation
terminal monitor
[ have a client dial in ]

As far as the "speed" (actually, bandwidth) shown via "show interface"
... this is simply taken from the "bandwidth" command configured on
the async interface, and does not reflect the actual modem speed.
The "bandwidth" value is basically cosmetic (except insofar as it is
used by MLPPP and routing protocols.)

Aaron