[cisco-nas] isdn and voice dialin config

James Sneeringer james+cisco at vincentsystems.com
Thu Aug 19 15:13:04 EDT 2004

I've been tasked with migrating our only PRI (T1) off our last remaining
Lucent PortMaster 3 and onto an existing Cisco 3640.  The PRI primarily
handles "nailed up" 2b 128k MLPPP connections, but also handles the
occasional modem dialup.  The 3640 will be equipped with an NM-1CT1-DSU
and an NM-24DM, and is running c3640-is-mz.122-19.

Since the modules are not yet installed, and since I don't have a spare
PRI, I have no means with which to test this, so the eventual cutover
will be "hot" and has to work correctly the first time.  This is the
base config I've come up with to accomodate our requirements:

    controller T1 2/0
     pri-group timeslots 1-24
    !
    interface Loopback0
     ip address X.X.X.1 255.255.255.255
    !
    interface Serial2/0:23
     no ip address
     dialer rotary-group 1
     isdn incoming-voice modem
    !
    interface Group-Async1
     no ip address
     dialer rotary-group 1
     async mode interactive
     group-range 65 88
    !
    interface Dialer1
     ip unnumbered Loopback0
     encapsulation ppp
     dialer in-band
     dialer-group 5
     peer default ip address pool dialin-pool
     ppp authentication pap
     ppp multilink
    !
    ip local pool dialin-pool X.X.X.2 X.X.X.9
    !
    dialer-list 5 protocol ip permit
    !
    line 65 88
     modem inout
     transport input all
     autoselect during-login
     autoselect ppp

Do I understand this correctly?

  * Data calls will be directed to the Dialer interface by the
    "rotary-group" statement on Serial2/0:23.

  * Voice calls will be directed to a modem by "incoming-voice" statement on
    Serial2/0:23, and from there handled by the Group-Async interface based
    on the "group-range" statement.  Calls are then handed off to the Dialer
    interface by the "rotary-group" statement on Group-Async1.

  * Channels in use will appear in the form of Serial2/0:xx, where xx is the
    actual channel used.

  * Data calls will appear on a Virtual-Access interface.

  * Voice calls will appear on an Async interface corresponding to the TTY
    they landed on.

Any input would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

-James