[cisco-nas] session- versus exec-timeout

Hauke Krull hk at netuse.de
Wed Aug 25 10:53:26 EDT 2004

Hello!

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) schrieb:
> what are you trying to achieve? exec-timeout is an idle timeout for exec
> sessions (i.e. telnet/ssh to the router). the session-timeout applies to
> all sessions, i.e. exec, ppp, etc, the sessions are unconditionally
> cleared after the session-timeout expires.

Up to now we're using 'exec-timeout' (or at least the default of 10 minutes) on 'line vty 0 4'.
But the documents for the CiscoWorks Voice Manager are saying in the section 'Preparing a
Gateway for CVM':

'Because Telnet is used to communicate with the gateway, Session Timeout must be configured to
a nonzero value for all vty lines:
Router# config term
Router(config)# line vty 0 4
Router(config-line)# session-timeout 10'

So I wasn't sure if I need this command (session-timeout) because we already have
'exec-timeout' on the vty.

After reading your above answer I still see no difference between 'exec-timeout' and
'session-timeout' on vtys, only on ttys. Or am I blind somehow?

Thanks for your help
 Hauke
--
Dipl.-Phys. Hauke Krull