[cisco-nas] OT - routing ARIN /22 blocks

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Fri Jul 23 16:33:43 EDT 2004

Hi,

This is not exactly a cisco-nas issue, but I thought perhaps someone on this
list might be able to help me out on this one, as I know there's lots of ISP
folks listening....

We are a multi-homed ISP and have just gotten approval from ARIN for a /22
IP allocation. This is fabulous for us, as it means that finally after all
these years, we will stop being tied to our upstream provider(s) for IP
space. However, before we break out the champagne and renumber for the nth
time, I must pose the question: is this /22 going to be globally routable?

According to RFC 2050, "addresses issued directly from the IRs (non-provider
based), are the least likely to be routable across the Internet."

My current upstream providers (AT&T and a local one called Hudson Valley
Datanet) both assure me that they will have no problem routing & advertising
our /22. In the case of the local provider, they will also have their
upstream providers adjust their filters accordingly. I'm just concerned that
some other provider out there will be unwilling to listen to such a small
advertisement.

Does anyone have real-world experience that might ease my fears (or confirm
them)?

--Adam

---
[This e-mail was scanned for viruses by Webjogger's AntiVirus Protection System]