[cisco-nas] Fragmentation & MTU

info at beprojects.com info at beprojects.com
Tue Nov 30 23:35:18 EST 2004

I am trying to figure out what the real difference is between
frame-relay fragmentation and setting the MTU on an interface.  If I
have a frame connection and I set fragmentation to 500, it will fragment
the packets.  If I set the MTU to 500, it will also fragment the
packets.  I'm guessing the difference is that Fragmentation is layer2,
whereas MTU is layer3.  Is that correct?  Also, what about the affects
on QoS?  If I setup LLQ outbound on the frame interface, I know
fragmentation takes place before the LLQ queueing, but what about if I
set the MTU.  Will that take place before queueing or is it after and
therefore somewhat worthless from a QoS perspective?  Thanks.

Peder