[cisco-nas] Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 9 04:23:08 EST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:50:55PM +0700, Souphonh Phounsavath wrote:
> I am looking for small scale. The number of customers will be less than
> 1000. Customer will have bandwidth of 256Kbps for down stream and 128Kbps
> for up stream. I think if 3620 PPPoE can support about 500 active PPPoE
> sessions for that traffic, I can start with it. Please advice.

I'd rather not do it.  The 3620 is old, dumb, and slow.

It might be able to do it if all the PPPoE customers are just reading
e-mail, and not doing anything using lots of bandwidth - but if half of
them really use their 256 Kbps, that's 60 Mbit, and this is far beyond
what a 3620 can handle.

You might want to get a 3640 from ebay (should be cheap), or get a
more reasonable device, like a 2851 or such.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de