[cisco-nas] Multihoming Question

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Tue Dec 12 10:19:11 EST 2006

Hi there...

We have some customers who are seeking connections from us (ISP) and
another ISP for redudancy.  This will be offered as a managed package
deal to the customer.

Because this will involve BGP from both ISP's, the end customer would
require an AS number and their own IP space.  The problem comes into
place with the customer's size and the fact that they will most likely
not require even a full /24 block in most situations and really their
own AS number is probably a wasted resource.

Is there a common practice in place today for these types of customers?
What I was wondering is if we allocate a /24 on our side and allow the
other ISP to advertise that particular /24 then there is now two paths
to the customer for that /24 space (even though the end customers would
be each getting probably just a /29 after we split up the block).  Then
both ISP's involved could run eBGP to the customer via a private AS
number?

I'm looking for some kind of solution and figure this must be done in
various ways today...? :)

thanks,

Paul