[cisco-nas] IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation

Aaron Leonard Aaron at cisco.com
Mon Feb 6 18:32:33 EST 2006

Hiya Chip,
> After several years away from dealing directly with dialup modem issues I
> have inherited responsibility for an AS5350 that takes incoming modem
> connections over 8 PRI lines.  It has been a long time, so I'm fumbling a
> bit.

Well, welcome back, Chip.

> Memory: 128 MB
> Flash: 32 MB
> IOS: 12.2(2)XA5 (as far as anyone here knows it has never been updated)
> SPE:  0.7.9.0 (IOS default)
> Modemcap: not specified, so I assume it's the default, not nextport
>
> Callers with Lucent-based modems have trouble connecting, and once
> connected have trouble staying connected.  I want to upgrade to more
> recent IOS and SPE to see if it helps our Lucent clients, but there is a
> catch.  We are still using Extended TACACS (not TACACS+).  Our UNIX admin
> is working on replacing it with RADIUS, but I need to address the Lucent
> client problem right now so can't wait for RADIUS to be ready some day.
>
> What is the most recent IOS version that can use Extended TACACS?  As far
> as I can tell it is 12.2, but I want to make sure.

We officially declared that xtacacs was no longer supported back as of -
what? 11.3?  Looks like the code's still there as of 12.3(11)T (which is
just what I had handy.)  12.3(recent) mainline should be a good pick for
you, if you don't need fancy new features (and I infer that you don't),
I suppose.

> What SPE version is recommended for use with 12.2 (or whatever recent IOS
> still supports Extended TACACS).

You can pretty much go with any SPE code that you want, with or without
upgrading IOS.   7.18.3 is good.  10.4.1 is the latest.  See
http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/nextport-spe .
> Should we switch to the nextport modemcap, stay with default, or create a
> custom one?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

As far as modemcaps go - the default setting is pretty good.

Good luck,

Aaron

---

*Recommended modemcap *for NextPort CSMV/6 7.11 or above (always start a
modemcap with *&F*):

      Recommended modemcap for 7.11 or above in a V.92/V.44 application
      (requires IOS 12.2XA, 12.2XB or 12.2T):
      *&FS0=0S62=8Q2*
      *     S0=0     *Don't delay answerback tone (see CSCdv19246
      <http://wwwin-metrics/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdv19246>, also
      CSCdv89787
      <http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdv89787&show=Release-note>)

            *S62=8    *Maximum MoH time 4 minutes (or whatever the
            customer wants)
            *Q2       *No result codes in answer mode

      Recommended modemcap for 7.11 or above in a non-V.92 application:
      *&FS0=0S29=6S21=3Q2*
            *S29=6       *V.92 disabled
            *S21=3       *V.42bis, MNP5 compression (disable V.44) Consider enabling LAPM SREJ (*S54=16*) (see CSCdx03968
    * <http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdx03968>
      - requires 7.17 or above).  This can provide enhanced throughput
      to USR clients.
    * Disable V.8bis if K56Flex isn't desired (*S53=0*)
    * If you want NextPort to receive at a more conservative rate, set
      S76 to 1, 2 or 3
    * If you are seeing "illegal token" disconnects with clients that
      are connected in V.44, then consider reducing the V.44 maximum
      codewords to 1024, with *S65=1024S66=1024*.  See CSCeb15172
      <http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCeb15172>.
      (Not clear yet whether this is a client problem or a CSMV/6 problem.)