[cisco-nas] AS5350XM in mixed VoIP and dialup environment

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Wed Jan 4 06:23:54 EST 2006

Darryl Sladden (dsladden) wrote:

Hi Darryl,

> There are many questions there, and some, such
> as the number of DSP in use, may be better handled
> by a call to TAC.

I'll try to get something there, but since those boxes are in a "Try and
Buy" contract I don't know what support options we have at the moment.

> First, you need to have a separate Voice DSP license
> before you can proceed with accepting VoIP calls on
> the AS5350.

Understood. We got the Voice-Bundles, so I assume this is okay. Plus we
already did successful VoIP connections between E1 and SIP.

> Second, the method that you would use for VoIP calls
> would be based on dialpeers.  The dialpeer matching
> would occur BEFORE the Group-Async command was used.

So the call goes through the dialpeers. If no dialpeer or a "dialpeer
data x pots" with service data_dialpeer (?) is matched the call is
handed off to the usual dialin, which would be configuration-wise either
Se3/x:15 for digital calls or Group-Async for modem calls. Or, a Dialer
interface if we had the correct configuration options on Se3/x:15 and Async.

> The configuration for a VoIP GW is VERY different then
> a standard NAS box.

Is this generally a problem? In the end we will end up with two AS5350XM
and about 14 E1 in total. Voice traffic will be less than one E1 in peak
and I don't want to dedicate one box to voice and one to data for
because of redundancy,

> You would generally use dialpeers and not dialer interfaces.
> Dialer does not apply at all to VoIP calls.

Understood, but what if I want to have several dialin numbers (that are
not handled by PSTN-VoIP, but by the modem/ISDN part) with different
profiles? At last if I want to have different authentication options per
called number (on the same E1) I'm probably stuck with Dialers. Is this
even possible at all?

> This architecture is well deployed and you should not
> have any major problems, but you many need to upgrade
> if you reach capacity issues.

I don't care about upgrading as long as reaching capacity issues is
something near either 8*E1 or 216 voice or modem calls. The majority
(maybe 80%) of our calls is digital dialin, as long as the box can
handle that without eating up tens of DSPs per connection we're fine.

Regards,
Bernhard