[cisco-nas] ISDN Authentication using Caller ID

Gaurav Sabharwal gaurav at inwire.net
Wed May 2 14:32:29 EDT 2007

on 05/02/2007 08:11 PM Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) said the following:
{snip}
>> The goal is to use only the ISDN CLID for authentication. The remote
>> router will not be configured with any username/password information.
>
> Ok. May I ask the reason behind this?
We are implementing this service for a customer that manage the CPE
using a custom built interface (GUI that dials into the router and
configures the router). From what we know, the costs and times
associated with the change in the code are prohibitive.

{snip}
>> The document mentions that this is only supported on the AS53xx. Is
>> this support there on the 2811s as well? I tried the "aaa preauth"
> command
>> on couple of routers with 12.4.x IOS but the command is not available.
>
> Sorry, this feature is only available on the access servers in the
> AS5xxx family.
Can you think of any other way of implementing this? I was thinking
about the crazy idea of using 1200 "dialer caller" statements + dynamic
IP address assignment via a local pool. The dial part of the solution is
for backup services. The primary would be DSL.

- Gaurav