[cisco-nas] Cisco vs Juniper

Stephen Fulton sf at lists.esoteric.ca
Tue Feb 26 16:59:52 EST 2008

Paul,

As you consider which gear to buy, perhaps you may want to consider why
you're buying it in the first place.  Does AGAS sound familiar?  Bell's
solution does not scale well, and we're all going to be affected by it.
  That said, your company, my company and Adrian's company are large
enough to justify the expense of a 10000 series or ERX.  That's a
problem for a number of the smaller independents in the market.

As for which platform, my two cents:  I watched Radiant test out a 1400
series ERX and a 10000 series Cisco, they ended up with the Cisco.
Looking at my price list, I can get two fully redundant 10000/PRE-3's
with multiple GigE interfaces for the same price as an equivalent ERX.
I'm also busy enough that a Cisco to Juniper migration is a PITA,
therefore the ERX must offer something that is a "can't live without"
option.  Sure, they have great queuing abilities, but the 10000 series
does too.

I prefer to pick the poison I know.

-- Stephen