[cisco-nas] Shaping/Policing PPPoE sessions on Cisco 10008

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Tue Mar 18 03:22:12 EDT 2008

You could use RADIUS attributes to apply a service policy to the
virtual-interface, or you could use RADIUS attributes to apply a
rate-limit command to the virtual-interface.

Using the service policy has the added benefit of being able to apply QoS
configurations on a user-by-user basis (e.g. business customers have a
different service level than residential customers), whereas a rate-limit
just simply caps the data transfer rate.

The ISP I work for applies rate-limits via RADIUS attributes (IIRC). We're
also using 10008s aswell as 7200VXRs with thousands (circa 8-10 per box)
of sessions terminated from our own DSLAM deployments, and also a 3rd
party wholesale DSL provider. This setup is working quite well.

Last time I looked the CPUs of the 10008s were coping quite well with
plenty of room to grow.